Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sweet Home Alabama

This summer is going to be a learning experience for me. I am doing an internship in order to graduate, and I am having so much fun. I learn a lot all day long, somethings I learn about PR, but other random stuff I am just picking up along the way. For instance, I am learning how awesome the State of Alabama is. I have lived here my entire life and I am not sure that I completely appreciated everything Alabama had to offer. Especially now, since so many new developments are taking shape.

The first day of my internship, I learned that Alabama ranks 4th in the country for number of quality spas. FOURTH! We are ranked ahead of New York, Hawaii, Georgia, Texas, South Carolina, new Mexico, and 40 others! I think that's pretty neat. Check out this one in Point Clear at the Grand Hotel. I've been inside it, and the ammenities are to die for.

While you're checking out the spa, check out the Grand Hotel itself. It is purely amazing. It was built in 1847, and is still rich in the history of the South. It is a AAA Four Diamond Award winning hotel. Check it out.

The Grand also offers premier golf through the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trial. There are two courses here, The Magnolia and the Dogwood.
Right down the road in Mobile are two other beautiful hotels that I have recently been introduced to, The Battlehouse and The Riverview Plaza. They are equally remarkable but they are so different at the same time. The Battlehouse is GORGEOUS! I had seen pictures but they could not do this beautiful, antique hotel. It feels as if you have just walked into the 1800's (which makes sense because it was built in 1852). It will be opening a spa later this year.
The Riverview Plaza is literally 20 steps down the street from the Battlehouse. It boasts a different brand of elegance. It is New York City style and flare with a nautical theme.


All three of these hotels offer amazing restaurants and nightlife. They are basically suited for any need any one could possibly have.
Moving a bit north, the new Renaissance Montgomery Hotel and Spa has yet another appeal. Each of these hotels are equally elegant but have a unique ambiance. Not only does this hotel offer luxury guest rooms, a magnificent lobby, fine dining, and a spa, but it also holds an 1800-seat Broadway level theater. This theater and hotel alone are raking in the entertainment.
Take a short trip to Prattville and you will run into the Montgomery Marriott Prattville Hotel and Conference Center. This hotel is built on the courses of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at Capitol Hill. These courses also hold an annual LPGA tournament. The hotel itself is magnificent, but they also offer a 10,000 sq. ft. presidential cottage with 5 additional suites, just in case you want to stay there.

In Birmingham, there is the Ross Bridge Resort and Spa. The spa here is also amazing, not to mention the golf can't be matched (it has the third longest golf course in the world). The hotel looks like a castle. (PS all of these hotels are built beyond Ritz-Carlton standards). Ross Bridge is also unique in that it has a bagpiper that plays in the morning and at night.
The Marriott Shoals Hotel and Spa is in Florence, AL (who would ever think to look there?). I think it is rated as the #2 Marriott in the country. It has a 360-degree revolving restaurant on the roof, and once again, championship golf. I've never been but apparently the spa here is unmatched.


And by the way, did anyone know that Alabama has a winery. You can take tours and do wine-tasting for free. How cool is that? Check it out...Morgan Creek.
Anything else to add to how awesome this state is?

No comments: