Thursday, June 5, 2008

When You Wish Upon A...

Think back to the Super Bowl. It doesn't matter which one. Just think about a Super Bowl. At the end of the Super Bowl, when the media rushes the field, and the quarterback answers questions, what is the one question that has gotten more publicity than any other?

"You've just won the Super Bowl! What are you going to do now?"

And the quarterback says...

"I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!"

Yes!! Just like the quarterback, I will be heading to Disney World as well. Unlike me, however, I doubt that the quarterback has been to Disney World 16 times. Yes, 16 times. I truly love Disney World. It may just be my demeanor, I don't know, but I love it. My whole family does. This year I am going with my boyfriend's family. It will make six years that I have been in a row. I am only going for the weekend, but I plan to do as much as humanly possible.

Many people scoff at my love for Disney. And you may scoff too, but before you do, ask yourself this question, "when was the last time I went?" If you've never been, don't knock it til you try it. If you went when you were little, that doesn't count anymore. And if you went recently and didn't like it, you did something wrong. I honestly believe that I could make business out of telling people how to "do" Disney World. If you don't do it right, you won't have fun. Although there are far too many details to express on this blog for how to have a successful Disney trip, I will give a few main points that are helpful:

1) Don't go with a chip on your shoulder. If you go in with the predisposed notion that you are going to hate it, then you will! Go into it with any open mind, and look at it as a time that you get to be a kid. On that note, it is not only a place for kids, and many people make that very mistake. It has something for people of every age.

2) Don't think that you will be able to do EVERYTHING. You simply can't. There is far too much to do. As much as I have been there are still things that I have not done. If you run around trying to do every single thing, you will get stressed out and you won't enjoy anything.

3) Yes, you are going to wait in a couple of lines. It is just part of it. But there are ways to avoid the busiest of times at the park, and to cut down and lines. For this explanation I would need a lot of space.

4) Make reservations at places you know you want to eat, and eat on property. It's part of the whole experience. If you don't make reservations, you may not get into the restaurant. You can always make reservations and not go, just remember to cancel them.

5) Try to stay in a hotel on property. Once again, it is part of the whole experience, and property guests many times receive several bonuses others may not.

I know that seems like very little information, but trust me there is so much more. Fortunate for you, I made a ten page "cheat sheet" if you will, that is available upon request. Just Ask!

For fun, here are my top ten favorite things to do at Disney World, in no particular order:

1) Stay at the Grand Floridian Resort.

2) Ride the monorail in the front car.

3) Ride the mountain trifecta at Magic Kingdom: Splash, Space, and Big Thunger Mountain.

4) Watch all the firework shows at all four parks.

5) Go on Kilimanjaro Safaris at the Animal Kingdom.

6) Ride the Rock-N-Roller Coaster at MGM.

7) Explore all the countries at Epcot (and eat at one of the country's restaurants).

8) Go to the Grand Luau at The Polynesian Resort and to the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review at Fort Wilderness.

9) Walk around Downtown Disney and Disney's Westside (great restaurants here too!).

and finally....

10) Get Mickey's autograph!!!!

If you are going to Disney World, give me a call. I have no problem with giving personal tours of the parks!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I want to see this 10 page document. You are a trip. Have fun with Mickey!

Liz said...

Haha, I will post it just for you. I love your blog! I read it in dead time at work.