Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Most Embarrassing Moment #1

I was telling Ansley this story over Spring Break. I had forgotten about it until then. Maybe I blocked it out of my memory, I'm not sure. Somehow, this particular story always slipped my mind when asked "What is your most embarrassing moment?" I might just have too many options to choose from and this one was hidden in the back of the filing cabinet.

At the very end of my sophomore year of high school, I was chosen to represent my school (super nerd overachiever, I know I know) at something called HOBY, Hugh O'Brien Youth Leadership. Some of you reading might know about this.

Well, the first night we were there, we had a limbo contest. Those of you who know me might infer that I am very good at limbo given how much closer I am to the ground than anyone else. So I was excited, blissfully excited because there were cute boys (albeit nerdy) and surely they would be very impressed and notice the limbo champion. I hopped up and on about the fourth round, things started to get serious. The bar about 2 feet off the ground and there were probably four of us left. It was my turn to go. Easy does it, scooting forward, bending, holding my breath and......under I go! Hooray! Victory over another round!

One of the counselors (poor unsuspecting soul) held up her hand to give me a high five. (I should tell you that for some reason we were limbo-ing in the dark with a disco ball). I was bouncing around and so excited, and I went to give her an enthusiastic high five back. I did it in an upward motion with cheerleader sharpness and somehow...ONE OF MY FINGERS WENT UP HER NOSE! Poor girl, she had to be bleeding, and/or have a broken nose. Needless to say she ran off. Not knowing what to do next or if anyone really saw the exchange, I tried to put it out of mind and continue to limbo. I'm not sure if I won that cheap little trophy or not, but it was definitely worth to keep this story around. In my defense, I was probably a little dizzy from holding my breath and limbo-ing in a dark, discoball filled room. Either way, I'm not sure I ever saw her the rest of the time.

No comments: