Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Confection Confession (with a side of Nerd)

Confession...I'm a slighty sugar-obsessed patriotic nerd.

I had a very good day yesterday! Work rocked along very smoothly (always does), but I was mostly looking forward to 5:00pm. Not because I dislike work, but because I was going to EGDAR'S! If you have never been, then your poor tastebuds have missed out on the same thing mine have been. It was amazingly good!

You see, my office building is very close to Edgar's and every day when I head home I see the bakery. I've heard about it several times and I've even driven by slowly, peeping into the windows. Yesterday, I bit the bullet. I finally had a reason to go to Edgar's. One of my roomies took the NCLEX exam (an exam for nurses that they must pass in order to become an R.N.) that morning and didn't have to study anymore. I'm not entirely sure what all it entails, but NCLEX sounds like a villian from a MARVEL comic book. Not fun. But thank you roomie, for giving me a reason to go to Edgar's!

When I left work, I headed straight there. (I feel like I should give a shout out to my friend that called from Switzerland...sorry I was distracted by all the cakes! I was SO happy to chat with you!) I entered the heavenly doors, and immediately smelled the freshness and purity of bread and cakes just out of the oven. I browsed for probably 30 minutes. They had cupcakes, cookies, pettafores, brownies, and beautifully mastered confections that I almost do an injustice by simply calling them a cake. I searched and I searched for the perfect dessert. I could have gone a number of ways, but instead I settled for 4 mini desserts. They were ADORABLE! I chose a mini chocolate bundt cake, a chocolate iced cake with chocolate bars stuck in it, a chocolate dessert shaped like a little ball that had pecans and chocolate shavings on it, and my personal favorite....COCONUT CAKE. The little coconut cake was so beautiful!

Before the 4 of us that were celebrating dove into the desserts, we decided it best to go and eat dinner. The minute we stepped back into the apartment we took the sweets by storm. They never had a chance poor things. We polished those little suckers off while watching National Treasure 2. Now, thanks to the movie, I have this incredibly nerdy desire to learn as much as I can about American History. All those myths and legends, is there even the slightest chance that some of them are true? It was when I was tempted to comment on a "The Book of Secrets: DOES it Exist?" discussion board that I realized that maybe I should take a step back, re-evaluate and decide whether or not I wanted to commit to this much nerdiness.

Answer: Been there, Done that....And apparently I'm continuing it.

It's so interesting though! No, there is no proof that such things are true necessarily, but there is no proof that they are entirely false either. I choose to think there are secrets locked in the past that only our ancestry know and ever will know. That is what a secret is correct? Things no one is supposed to know? For that purpose, I choose to speculate...it makes it all so much more interesting. Am I alone in my nerdiness?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i had no idea there was so much going on in your head while we were talking